Anti Sexual Harassment
With regard to the Supreme Court Judgement and guidelines issued in 1997 to provide for the effective enforcement of the basic human right of gender equality and guarantee against sexual harassment and abuse, more particularly against sexual harassment at work places, the University Grants Commission (UGC) has issued circulars since 1998, to all the universities, advising them to establish a permanent cell and a committee; to develop guidelines to combat sexual harassment, violence against women and ragging at the universities and colleges. Keeping the above guidelines in view Universal College of Education has constituted a Committee against Sexual Harassment.
Universal College of Education has committed itself to provide a congenial and conducive atmosphere in which students, teachers and non-teaching staff can work together in an environment free of violence, harassment, exploitation, and intimidation. This includes all forms of gender violence, sexual harassment, and discrimination on the basis of gender. Every member is expected to be aware of the commitment to the right to freedom of expression and association; it strongly supports gender equality and opposes any form of gender discrimination and violence.
The Supreme Court of India, in a landmark judgment in August 1997 (Vishaka & others vs. the State of Rajasthan & others) stated that every instance of sexual harassment is a violation of “Fundamental Rights” under Articles 14, 15, and 21 of the Constitution of India, and amounts to a violation of the "Right to Freedom" under Article 19 (1)(g). Another Supreme Court Judgment in January 1999 (Apparel Export Promotion Council vs. Chopra) has stated that sexually harassing behavior "needs to be eliminated as there is no compromise on such violations". The Supreme Court further reiterated that sexual harassment "is a violation of the fundamental right to gender equality and the right to life and liberty".
OBJECTIVES OF THE COMMITTEE
1.To evolve a mechanism for the prevention and redressal of sexual harassment cases and other acts of gender based violence in the institution.
2. To ensure the implementation of the policy in letter and spirit through proper reporting of the complaints and their follow-up procedures.
3. To provide an environment free of gender-based discrimination.
4. To ensure equal access of all facilities and participation in activities of the college.
5. To create a secure physical and social environment which will deter acts of sexual harassment?
6. To promote a social and psychological environment that will raise awareness about sexual harassment in its various forms.
DEFINITION OF SEXUAL HARASSMENT
For this purpose, sexual harassment includes such unwelcome sexually determined behaviour (whether directly or by implication) as:
1.Physical contact and advances;
2.A demand or request for sexual favours;
3.Sexually coloured remarks;
5. Any other unwelcome physical, verbal or non-verbal conduct of sexual nature, where any of these acts is committed in circumstances where-under the victim of such conduct has a reasonable apprehension that in relation to the victim’s employment or enrolment in the institution whether she is drawing salary, or honorarium or otherwise, such conduct can be humiliating and may constitute a health and safety problem. It is discriminatory for instance when the woman has reasonable grounds to believe that her objection would disadvantage her in connection with her employment or work or studentship including recruiting or promotion or academics when it creates a hostile work environment. Adverse consequences might be visited if the victim does not consent to the conduct in question or raises any objection thereto.
Members of the Committee
|Sr.No||Name of Member||Designation||Position||Contact No|
|1||Dr.Verender Kaur||Director Academics||Chairperson||8054301777|
|3||Dr.Surina Sharma||HOD & Student Counseller||Member||8901141093|
|4||Ms.Monika||CR(B.A.B.Ed 4th Sem)||Student Representative||6284481613|
|5||Mr.Dilpreet||CR(B.A.B.Ed 4th Sem)||Student Representative||7528888807|